Wednesday, February 15, 2006

2 hackers

2 hackers, 2 months, and an idea...

Build a better job board. I was talking to my friend Matt and about the idea of building a better job board. It didn't take much to convince each other that we could do much better then what is currently out there.

Monster, Dice, HotJobs, Jobing (spelling?) et al have all gotten fat dumb and happy - Internet Explorer style (oh yes I did), the one thing they all have in common is how hard they suck. It's like there has been a feature freeze since 2002, moreover these job boards have all been overrun by staffing companies.

I am going to assert that coming up with better technology then what the current job boards have to offer won't be a problem. So what is it that we are going to do better? Good question, the answer is a closely guarded secret, but you should have some idea by 4/1/06 (our first launch date). Over the next 6-8 weeks I will blog about our methods and progress.

What makes us so sure that we can pull this off?
We have a secret weapon.

More on that tomorrow.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

As a soon-to-be CS grad searching around for a Job, I have to agree.

I can't imagine that my peers are having any better experience than I --- so I wish you much luck.

(I guess you'll get to this in your next post, but have you picked a frameowrk? Or are you DIY?)

cludwin said...

Yo Brett,
I am totally going to talk about the framework in the near future. I am thinking about putting up a link to my svn server. It' a homegrown framework I've been working on for a while. I've been using mod_python for like 2 yrs and over that time I have come up with the basics like, sessions, loggin, display, persistance, url dispatching, caching. It's not as pluggable as say a django, but then again it doesn't try to be. It's built around what I think works well together.

Anyway thanks for the support and stay tuned.

Thanks,
Courtney

Anonymous said...

Good luck on this. I have been tracking the job board business since 1995. Zero innovation, brah.
Make it happen!